The Basic guide to the Kombucha Preparation
All you need to know about fermenting your black tea into the most popular probiotic drink! Do you have 20 days of patience ?
Are you ready for the kombucha preparation?
“Kombucha is the fermented drink that I first added to my cocktails, nevertheless its brewing process is not easy, takes 4 weeks of patience and a medium difficulty level of execution and some basic skills”
Kombucha fermentation requires your most precious resource: your time!
If you are like me, and you want to know how to organise yourself and your time in advance, you can follow this guide to the kombucha preparation, a basic one to get started, wether you’re a professional bartender or a cocktail enthusiast, and you fancy some good cocktails with probiotics, this is the time to invest your most precious resource: YOUR TIME!
“Yes, my friends, kombucha fermentation requires time and care, more than any other probiotic drinks and home-made fermented drinks ! “
I always struggle with time, my busy schedule at work, the time we spend taking photographs for our blog, trying to match my schedule and the schedule of Marcella that takes the picture in the blog, all these things make my brewing processes at home very hard and very tricky!
Before making my own kombucha I thought buying one store-sourced would the best choice, when I wanted to create some cocktails the first impression was : I will never be able to wait 4 weeks of fermentation, I cannot ! I am not that patient!
But the necessary skills are not those of a professional chemist, you don’t need to have a background of a professional fermentation expert, you will see how easy and what a minimum budget you will invest in the process of making!
Are you ready to fill your diet and you cocktail creativity with loads of probiotics?? Let’s have a look at this guide to the kombucha preparation in 20 days!
BASIC KOMBUCHA in 20 days
THE RECIPE, INGREDIENTS:
- 1 litre of filtered water
- 4 black tea bags
- 3 tablespoons of raw or white sugar
- 1 kombucha starter, SCOBY. Smaller than the palm of your hand
EXECUTION, AND FERMENTATION PROCESS:
- Prepare your 1 Litre quantity of black tea, 4 teabags are good enough to give a concentrated flavour;
- 3-5 minutes of infusion and then take the tea bags away,
- Pour your tea into a 3/4 litres mason jar;
- Add the sugar into the jar, and stir your tea that tastes sweet now;
- Add 2.5 litres of cold water to cool the temperature of the mix down to room temperature ;
- When the liquid has cooled down, add your kombucha scoby starter, cover the jar with a kitchen towel.
- Place the jar away of direct sunlight , away from sources of heat.
- Leave the jar in a place where it can stay for 20 days undisturbed;
- Remove the kombucha scoby culture that you will find after 20 days floating on top of your kombucha
- Add it into a solution of sweet water, to keep her safe if you don’t plan to bee another batch;
- Pour the liquid into a glass bottle, through a funnel and a cheese cloth that will strain all little sediments and impurities;
- Seal the bottle and let it sit for another week. This is called CARBONATION PROCESS.
- It is IMPORTANT we gently open and close the bottle again and again , during the carbonation process, TO ALLOW the excess of gas to escape and AVOID EXPLOSION!
I am pretty sure that my guide to the kombucha preparation can help everyone brewing the most popular probiotic drink, now accessible to everyone in stores, but easy to make and easy to reproduce in your kitchen or at the laboratory of your bar/restaurant!
There are more and more ideas we can write about, we could tell you more secrets about the different teas used in fermentation process and give you more tips about “how to flavour up your kombucha”
Or just “some of the best cocktails with kombucha”, but we will see more in the next blog post!
I hope I have helped more than someone, let me know in the comments which Arte your struggles, if you guys are more patient than me and you have brewed more than 1 batch at time!
I would love to hear from you all !!
Cheers to your health, and wealth!!