3 ingredients for the perfect clarified milk punch!
5 minutes Tips for bartenders: Essential procedure to make clarified milk punch!
In this section of cocktails that feature one only spirit, I have collaborated with my friend Laurenz, also colleague at the Ritz hotel, great bartender! Super funny guy and a great reliable friend!!
If you want to skip the reading and learn from the video, just follow the youtube link here! ➔
For our upcoming winter menu, I created a Christmas Milk Punch with a strong Chai Tea.
|500ml Brewed Chai Tea||1 Fine Mesh Strainer / Cheesecloth|
|200ml Bacardi 8||Coffee Filter(s)|
|240ml Whole Milk||2 Large Bowls|
|70gr Fresh Lemon Juice||Pot to boil|
|70gr Caster Sugar||Bottles to store|
I used a Chai Tea created by the Tea Sommelier of the Hotel at our Palm Court, basically the Afternoon Tea’s very own mixture. Of course you can use your favorite Chai- or christmas tea here.
- I prepared 500 ml Tea using this 60g of Chai mixed with Lady Grey Tea and brewed it with boiling water and let it sit for at least half an hour.
It may even sit for longer, as most of the bitter flavors of the spices will be removed during the process later on.
- Once the liquid is fine strained in a big bowl, you can add 70g of either sugar syrup or caster sugar.
- Finding the right citrus juice, a mix of both fresh lemon and lime juice in equal parts works very well for me. You can also consider any other citrus fruits you like.
- Squeeze 70ml of the citrus juice into the same bowl and stir.
- After you have stirred everything together, in another bowl you gently heat up 240ml of fresh whole milk. It’s important to keep milk an tea in separate bowls until this point. Don’t bring the milk to boil, around 50°C is enough to bring enzymes to do some work.
Very important: You are going to add the bowl with the chai, rum and port containing the citrus and sugar onto the bowl with the milk.
- Make sure to pour and stir in 1/3 of the tea mix very gently and slow, you will see after a few seconds that the milk starts to curdle up.
- Continue pouring and gently stir around. The goal is to move the casein proteins around a lot in order to remove the bitter compounds. Once you poured everything, stir for a little more and set aside for up to 12 hours. It should be covered and stored at room temperature.
- After, let it sit in the fridge for 6 hours and use a fine mesh strainer to filter off the curdled particles. Repeat straining though coffee filters until crystal clear and bottle it.
- It will keep in the fridge for at least a month, after that it loses it’s richness.
- You can either straight serve it from the bottle over a little bit of ice, or shake it up and enjoy the frothiness of the Punch. I use a Tea Cup and a Chunk of ice, with a cinnamon stick as a garnish.
This Milk Punch is low in alcohol and can be done with few ingredients only. For a more complex and power full version, you can replicate the recipe below, made by Stefano Bussi
The step by step guide For the Tequila Milk Punch:
- Brew 250ml of Lapsang Tea in a big bowl together with 2 large grapefruit peels, 5 cardamon seeds and let it brew for about half an hour
- Combine in the same bowl the lemon juice, vanilla syrup and tequila
- Pour everything slowly onto the milk in the other bowl, and whisk it carefully around
- After about 6 hours in the fridge, filter everything through a cheesecloth and finally coffee filters until crystal clear. Bottle it up and refrigerate
- It’s easy to drink on its own, but if you want to turn it into a real beauty, by adding the Kombucha Soda.
The Kombucha Soda is easily made by using a Soda Charger, if you haven’t got it yet, here is a link https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminium-Carbonated-Dispenser-Beverage-Carbonator/dp/B07W4V7MMJ/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=soda+syphon&qid=1566615953&s=gateway&sr=8-7
Simply fill it up with your Kombucha and give it 1 charger of CO2
|700ml Altos Tequila||1 Fine Mesh Strainer / Coffee Filter|
|80ml Lemon Juice||Pot to boil|
|100ml Vanilla Syrup||Bottles to store|
|250ml Lapsang tea||2 Large Bowls|
|450ml Full Fat Milk|
|Grapefruit peels and Cardamon|
|50ml Kombucha Soda|
Collaborating with Laurenz to this unique cocktail was not only fun and entertaining for me… I must say he’s a great talented and skilled bartender with elegant moves and gentle savour faire…
This idea opens up to a world of cocktails where alcohol is no longer protagonist and welcomes you to a world of better, flavourful and interesting ingredients!!
Hope you will enjoy the youtube video of the milk punch making!!!
Cheers to your health!!