The fermentation topic seems to be of big interested among bartenders today and very trendy, we have heard a lot about cocktails and fermentation and thought could be a great idea start trying ourself!
…just a little guide in few steps to build your home-made fermented .. most importantly as a solution to the “NO WASTE” economy!
#1 – Passion fruit and Mandarin Colonche
inspired by the ancients, Maya and aztec
ingredients and equipment:
- a 1,5 liter mason jar, open without lid;
- 1 teaspoon, 15 g of yeast;
- 6 passion fruits;
- 5 peeled chopped mandarins;
- 350 ml (36*C) mineral water;
- a cheese cloth or a clean kitchen towel;
you just need too be patient and wait 3-5 days to see your Fermented drink ready to be bottled!
the fermentation process
- combine and stir in a small measure jug your mix of yeast and water, remember the 15 g of yeast and 350 ml of body temperature water .
- muddle the passion fruits and mandarins with a muddler directly in the mason jar, until it gets to a puree.
- mix the liquid yeast mix to your fruit pulp in the mason jar.
- close your jar on top with a kitchen cloth or a cheese cloth.
- let it rest, for 3-5 days.
is it ready? then strain, consider the final bits!
- after three days of mixing with a spoon and oxygenating , you should notice this layer of yeasts at the bottom of your jar.
- just need to strain the whole liquid through a cheese cloth gently and with patience, until the mixture will be clear.
- you will notice it’s ready when it tastes sour and fruity!
- bottle it, let it stay in the fridge for a couple of hours, chill and serve in cocktails or over ice!
Cocktails and Fermentation, use COLONCHE as a solution of “NO waste”.
We have talked about sustainability in one of our latest posts , think about cocktails and fermentationa good way to use and reuse the fruits and vegetables you don’t want to waste…
We have tested this recipe with passion fruit and mandarin but… – repeating the same procedure…
….you can play with all those fruits and leftovers from your fridge … those you haven’t used or got forgotten somewhere in your storage
try the same recipe with MANGO, or FIGS! as we did here! justtake a look at the images!